Friday 2 November 2007

Toussaint

It was almost festive in the Montparnasse Cemetery yesterday, tombs bright with chrysanthemum and cyclamen, the aisles between the headstones crowded with visitors; gossiping, strolling, commemorating the faithful departed. This is the custom, it seems, on these days of All Saints and All Souls.
Granite glinted dully in the struggling November sun as the living bent to the task of sweeping, scrubbing, weeding and remembering. Some grim, some cheerful, some weary and resigned. Duty? Grief? Habit?
It is a tradition which I find foreign and old-fashioned, and yet I can appreciate that there is comfort to be found in ritual. Even if it seems strange to me to nominate one particular day each year for remembering those we have lost.
Great for the florists, though.

5 comments:

islandgirl4ever2 said...

Hi There!!

Just curious if you were the Aussie Lad my hubby and I met at the Bloggers Picnic a while back? If so, we were all chatting while sitting on the grass and we were all sitting in the same area... But, at that time... I think that you DIDN'T yet have a blog... so I am wondering if it is in fact YOU that we met.. seeing that you are now "with blog." If so, very cool... I like the post on the cemetaire a Montparnasse... I didn't think of going but Paris has some very beautiful cemetaires... Take care, Leesa

paperknife said...

Hi Leesa,
Yes, it's me! Inspired by you all at the picnic, I am now all blogged up... thanks for dropping in and saying hi. Hope to see you again soon!

Anonymous said...

How naïve of me, I thought it was only "celebrated" here in Mexico: El Dia De Los Muertos (The Day of the Dead). Well, actually, you can spread it out to 3 or 4 days if you wish! (Anything to get a few days off from work - no?)

Here is a nice reference from Wikipedia.org, and a link to some photos I took at a local graveyard a few years back...

paperknife said...

Love the photos Jules. And I adore the idea of leaving a shot of tequila on the grave - that's the kind of spirits I like to see in a graveyard!

Web Hosting India said...

Hi...I will be hope this for a long time.It is good new.Paris had very marvelous cemetaires.Great collections.Thanks for your blog.