Sunday 18 November 2007

Fantasy

Last weekend I lived out a long-held dream and sang Patricia Kaas in public. With a microphone.

I fell in love with Patty back in the Winter of 1989 when, as a student in Paris, I spent long hours in front of the TV watching the afternoon teen music shows (to perfect my aural comprehension, obviously). Kaas had just released “Mademoiselle Chante” and was on high rotation. I rushed out to FNAC and bought the cassette which I played obsessively on my walkman. (That sentence makes me feel so old.)

Every morning my head would fill with her husky, jazzy, sophisti-pop voice, all the way from the Porte de Clignancourt to St. Michel. I would step lightly up the boulevard as dawn broke, humming with pleasure at the exhilarating arpeggios: “Elle voulait jouer Cabaret…” Turning into the place de la Sorbonne: “En buvant dans les verres, Un fond de picon bière…”. Taking my seat in the Amphithéâtre Richelieu: “Je peux vous dire qu'elle en rêvait, D'un jazz band sous un clair de lune…” And all the while feeling swooningly Continental.

No doubt any French readers are pointing and laughing at me now: I’ve probably just outed myself as the biggest dag on the planet. (While I’m at it, I might as well tell you that my other favourite chanteuse was Mylène Farmer. I know.)

Which is why it took so many beers to get me up on stage in that fabulously low “gayraoke” bar last Saturday night to fulfill my teenage fantasy:

For those present, thank you for your generous and indulgent support.

5 comments:

rhino75 said...

I think I speak for all of those present when I say that, for those unforgettable 5 minutes, you WERE Patricia Kaas. Mind you, we'd all had a few...

Anonymous said...

I think I've seen your sister do the same thing on the odd occassion, albeit at a Brookvale Chinese restaurant!

paperknife said...

Thanks Rhino - so all I need to do the next time I have an 80s moment in public, is make sure everyone is as drunk as I am... And as for you Anon, thanks for the tip re. my sister: I must remember to ask her about that the next time we speak!

Anonymous said...

You made and mailed me a mixtape when you were in Paris in 1989... and appropriately called it: "Paris in the Spring 1989". I remember it so well - just the name sounded so exotic! Good Lord, I may still even have it somewhere!

I remember more than half the songs on the tape were by Patricia Kaas. (Mixtape indeed...! hehe) But no, thanks for the memory, and the youtube link to her videos! Great stuff!

Free Cloud Hosting said...

It’s really a great and helpful piece of information. I’m glad that you shared this helpful information with us. Please keep us up to date like this. Thanks for sharing.