Sunday 4 November 2007

Flappers

Yesterday I charlestoned my way through a day in the life of a thoroughly modern woman of the 1920s at the Musée Galliera exhibition Les années folles: (1919 – 1929). A delirious collection of couture dresses and accessories captured the innocent decadence of this breathless decade, from sporty “anyone-for-tennis” ensembles to glitter-dripping cocktail frocks. Poiret, Lanvin, Worth, Patou – the names almost as dazzling as the outfits themselves. My favourites were the utterly chic little black dress from Chanel and the intriguingly named “Lesbos” dress by Lanvin – an exquisite absinthe-green and silver creation shown at the 1925 Paris exposition in the “Pavillon de l’élégance” (see the sketch above).
The crowds and the claustrophobic layout made it a bit of a challenge to move between the displays, but it did mean I got to hear some wonderful snatches of conversation. Like the elderly lady in raptures before the woollen bathing suits studded with brocade and sequins, only to turn away, shaking her head and saying to no-one in particular, “of course they itched dreadfully”.
Too too thrilling!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hello Stephen -- great blog. Has almost inspired me to get up off the couch and get out into this great city of ours and go exploring. Except that the Eastenders omnibus starts in ten minutes ..

What's your email address? I want to send you guys an invitation to my book launch at WH Smith on Thurs Dec 13 .. hope you'll still be in town.
Bryce

paperknife said...

Thanks Bryce! I've sent you a Facebook message with my email address - can't wait for the big launch! Enjoy Eastenders...