Wednesday 13 June 2007

POW!

"Ha ha. Very punny."
"You know the word pun is an acronym."
"Is it? What for?"
"Play On Words."
"Oh yeah, of course... No... hang on. That can't be right. It's P U N, not P O N."
"Oh my God. Isn't that weird? Maybe it's actually Play UPON Words?"
"Yes, Play Upon Words. That must be it. Pass the ice cream."

This is a transcript of a conversation I had with my best friend some years ago, at the tragic tail end of a particularly messy night. It marks, I believe, the beginning of my absurd love affair with acronyms.

I say this now because I suspect my future posts will be littered with odd little groups of letters, giving the impression that most of the vowels have fallen off my keyboard. It's a habit born of a love of corny wordplay, combined with years working in the Travel Industry, which is an acronymic paradise (or hell, depending). Imagine my paroxysmic delight when consulting the FFA* for an IATA fare from CDG to JFK. Nowadays, in the corporate training world, I'm in a new kind of heaven. I am in the process of writing a Negotiation Skills course teaching BDMs how to SWOT their BATNA. And my boss just asked if she could TIS my BOF. (Excuse me while my toes curl.) I am especially excited by a good TLA.

So now you've been warned... keep reading AYOR.

--------------------------------------------------
* for the acronymously challenged:

FFA = Fares From Australia
IATA = International Air Transport Association
BDM = Business Development Manager
SWOT = Strengths, Weaknesses, Opportunities, Threats,
BATNA = Best Alternative To a Negotiated Agreement
TIS = Total Information Share
BOF = Brightness Of Future
TLA = Three Letter Acronym
AYOR = At Your Own Risk

3 comments:

rhino75 said...

Hurrah!! Welcome to the wonderful world of blogging. But wait, if PUN were really an acronym, wouldn't it be PUW, or even POW - where does the N come from? Hmmm

paperknife said...

Oh hi there! Thanks for the warm welcome! Yes, it would indeed be POW (hence the title of the post)... like I said, it was at the end of a VERY messy night!

rhino75 said...

doh! That just goes to show I never read post titles!!