Tuesday 24 July 2007

Vélib’: a verdict


It's just over a week since Paris unveiled its Vélib’ experiment: a bold scheme offering free bikes for short journeys around town. Over 10,000 bikes in stations every 300 metres or so, growing to double this number by the end of the year.

You can subscribe to the service on a daily, weekly or yearly basis. The first 30 minutes are free, then you are charged in incremental amounts for every additional half hour.

I think this is a brilliant idea; beneficial on every level from the health of the environment to the health of me and my fellow Parisians. I signed up enthusiastically for a year.

Since the grand opening on 15th July, I am pleased to say I've averaged one trip a day by Vélib’. That is not to say it's been all smooth riding.

There have been quite a few glitches and frustrations. Many of the (technologically impressive) stations have been out of service, meaning that it's hard to find bikes available. In fact I had to give up on the very first day; the 5 stations I tried in my neighbourhood were either off line or empty. Many subscribers have found that the system didn't register the return of their bike, resulting in very scary balances: I checked mine on Friday night after a 25-minute morning pedal to find a rental period of over 6 hours, and a charge of 42 Euros on my account!

Recognising these errors, the city has agreed to cancel the debts in these cases; it took a couple of phone calls but my charge was reversed without question. Considering that the whole network was designed, constructed and installed in a ridiculously short time (a matter of months), these kinks are quite understandable.

The scheme has almost been too popular for its own good: I have already witnessed an instance of "bike rage" - two riders fighting over the last available Vélib’ at a station. On the whole, though, the novelty and civic-mindedness of the program results in a warm feeling of friendly solidarity; a shared recognition of the inherent goodness of the idea.

I must say I was quite apprehensive about riding on Parisian roads, but I have been pleasantly surprised by the extent of clearly-marked bicycle lanes along the main thoroughfares, and with the exception of a few hairy moments around the larger roundabouts or the narrower lanes, it has been relatively stress-free.

And the petty inconveniences and teething-problems are so quickly forgotten as the you glide along the banks of the Seine, or bounce cheerfully over the cobblestones of la Butte aux Cailles. It is impossible not to smile - to laugh out loud - with the pleasure of it.

Riding around this stunning city is an intensely exhilarating experience and a perfect incarnation of democracy à la française: Vélib’erté, Egalité, Fraternité!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great idea! Good for you buying a yearly pass too!

I googled Vélib to get a better idea of it all (due to my non-ability to read French in the link you posted) and found this: "...Application forms for the annual card will be available at Paris District City Halls, 300 métro stations and 400 pastry shops throughout the city."
Just the 400 then? Hilarious!

paperknife said...

Hey Jules!
I know - isn't it funny? Nothing like having a choice of 400 establishments to pick up a baguette, a couple of croissants and a yearly bike rental subscription. Yet another reason why I love living here!
P.S. Loved your comment about the hair product... so true!