Friday 7 September 2007

Pavarotti's Botti


The sad death of Luciano Pavarotti yesterday reminded me of my favourite apocryphal story about the great tenor. It seems he was being interviewed on a live satellite cross as part of a televisual tribute to our very own antipodean diva, Dame Joan Sutherland. When asked what special message he would like to give to the soprano, in front of millions of viewers, his loud, effusive and heavily-accented reply was:

“I would like to give her a big kiss from my bottom…”

Cut to a frozen-smiled Joan, blinking to camera. Pan to a mortified host, silently sweating. Pull back to a bemused studio audience, holding its breath. And gingerly cross back to Luciano, finally ready to finish his sentence:

“…of my heart.”

Considering where it came from, that’s a BIG kiss.

Bravo!

No comments: